Looking for the best ad blocker for firestick? We have got you covered. In this post, we will teach you how to block ads on firestick with blokada.
It’s needless to say that developers of third-party streaming apps rely on ads as a source of revenue in order to continue further development. Even legitimate streaming services are now starting to offer an ad-supported tier for those reluctant to pay for a subscription.
However, some apps just cross the line and throw promotions on the screen every minute or so. Everyone hates advertisements and pop-ups, especially when they disrupt a binge-watch out of nowhere. The interruptions get annoying after a while and impact the overall viewing experience.
Some in-app ad banners and pop-ups can also be malicious, rigged to lure you into clicking them, tracking every move you make. They may pose a threat to your device’s security and privacy.
If you use a Firestick, you can get rid of intrusive in-app advertisements with Blokada. It’s one of the most popular ad-blockers for Android and iOS, and it can be installed on Fire TV devices as well.
To learn how to block ads on Firestick with Blokada, make sure to continue reading this guide.
What does Blokada do?
Blokada is a free, open-source, and secure ad-blocker that efficiently blocks advertisements and pop-ups in apps you use on your Android and iOS devices. It also protects your privacy by blocking trackers from tracking everything you do on the web.
Blokada doesn’t even require users to root their devices. It works out of the box with almost all apps and web browsers, even when you have it installed on a Fire TV device.
The app is an open-source project, meaning you can check out its code yourself and verify whether it’s safe to use or not. However, you don’t have to worry about it as Blokada is used by millions of privacy-concerned users.
While the latest version of Blokada comes with a built-in VPN, Firestick users can’t take advantage of it yet. Instead, you have to install the older Blokada 4 version, which is still maintained for older devices and natively compatible with Android TVs.
We have personally tested and trust us blokada is one of the best ad blockers for firestick.
Features of Blokada on Firestick
- It removes annoying ads and blocks malicious trackers in apps, keeping your device always protected.
- Blokada supports ad-blocking for almost every app and web browser installed on your Firestick.
- The app doesn’t impact your Firestick’s performance when running in the background, as it’s built to run on devices with limited resources.
- Blokada 4 works natively with Fire TV devices. You can navigate around the app using the Alexa remote.
- It’s totally free to use. Blokada doesn’t ask users to pay for premium features.
Install Blokada to Block Ads on Firestick
Blokada is a trusted ad-blocker for Android devices. It’s available on the Google Play Store as well. Sadly, you won’t find it anywhere on the Amazon Appstore.
However, it’s not totally impossible to install Blokada on Firestick. You can still sideload the open-source version of Blokada 4 on your device, which is available for download on the official Blokada website.
Below is a complete step-by-step guide to install Blokada on Firestick (and Fire TV devices). There are three major sections for you to follow.
1. Enable Sideloading from Settings
If you haven’t sideloaded any apps on your Firestick before, you need to enable a developer option before you proceed to download and install Blokada. Here’s what you have to do:
- Start with visiting the Settings menu from the Fire TV Home screen.
- Next, scroll past the options and click Device & Software. If you can’t find the option, search for My Fire TV or Device.
- Proceed to the Developer options menu and click Apps from Unknown Sources.
- Click Turn On regardless of what the warning message says. As mentioned previously, Blokada is totally safe to install.
You can now sideload the Blokada app without running into security prompts. You can turn the developer option off after you successfully install the app.
2. Install Downloader App
The next major step for you is to install the Downloader app, assuming you don’t have it already. Fortunately, it’s available on the Amazon Appstore. Follow the steps below to get it on your Firestick. The next section explains why you need it.
- On the Fire TV Home screen, highlight the Search (magnifier) icon to get to the search menu.
- Type in “Downloader” and click the top search result in the following menu.
- Highlight and click the Downloader app under the Apps & Channels row on the next page.
- Click Get on the download page and wait for the app to get installed.
Once you have Downloader installed, click Open to launch it. You may now continue to the third and final section.
3. Download and Install Blokada on Firestick
Downloader is basically the only app that allows file downloading on Fire TV devices. You can use it to download the Blokada 4 APK file directly from your Firestick and sideload the app.
- When you open the Downloader app, Allow it to access the device’s storage, then click OK to close the tutorial.
- Select the Search bar on Downloader’s Home page and enter the following link using the on-screen keyboard: https:/go.blokada.org/apk4
- After that, click Go and wait for the Blokada 4 APK file to finish downloading.
- The Android installer will open up immediately after the completion of the download. Click Install.
- Click Done when the “App installed” message is displayed. It should return you to Downloader once again.
- Finally, click Delete in the dialog box to delete the APK file and free up storage space.
Congrats! You can now launch the Blokada app from the Fire TV Home screen’s “Your Apps & Channels” row.
If you can’t find it under the row, click See All to expand the apps list. You should see Blokada at the bottom of it.
How to Block Ads on Firestick using Blokada
Now that you have successfully sideloaded Blokada, you can easily block ads on Firestick. To do it, begin with launching the Blokada app from your apps list.
On the main screen of the app, you should see the “Blokada is deactivated” message. Use the remote to highlight and click the Power icon above. After that, click OK when you get the “Connection request” prompt. It appears only for the first time you activate the ad-blocker.
Upon successful activation, the Shield next to the Power icon should turn green, with the “Blokada is active” message at the bottom.
Now press the Home button on your Alexa remote to go back to the Fire TV Home screen. It minimizes the Blokada app window, but it will continue running in the background. You should now be able to launch your favorite streaming app and see the result.
You can open up the app once again to check how many advertisements and pop-ups Blokada has blocked in the current session. The number should be displayed next to the green Invisible icon above.
To get a better view of the blocked ads, click the three-lined burger icon below the main screen, then click the Ad blocking option. On the following page, click Host Log to check the list of allowed and blocked ad requests.
From the same page, you can also manually allow and block advertisement hosts. Head over to the Ad blocking Settings for additional advanced ad-blocking controls.
We hope this guide has helped you block ads on Firestick. Blokada is exceptionally effective at blocking advertisement banners and pop-ups in third-party streaming apps, but the results may vary depending on which apps you use.
Note that Blokada can’t remove advertisements from the official YouTube Fire TV app yet. For an ad-free YouTube experience, Smart YouTube TV is highly recommended. Also, the ad-blocker is unsupported with apps like Hulu, Peacock, Pluto TV, etc.
Blokada 4 also works fine on the Fire TV Cube, Fire TV, as well as Fire TV Edition Smart TVs and Soundbars.